A 1956 Corvette owned by Charlie Hohn will carry Parade Marshall David Slayter in the Boulder County Fair Parade at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 1.

By Ken White

Boulder County Fair  Parade coordinator Kiwanis Club of Longmont

Another outstanding vehicle in the Boulder County Fair Parade!

This fine 1956 Corvette was purchased from Luby Chevrolet in downtown Denver in 1962 by Charlie Hohn. The photo shows its colors which are original Venetian red with beige coves.

It's powered by the original 265 cubic inch power plant, topped with barrel carburetors, and uses a three-speed, close ratio transmission, all of which were options in those days. Air conditioning, power steering, and power brakes were not options in the early Corvette years.

Until 1973, the car was used as a daily driver, during which time it also was the car Charlie and his girlfriend were dating in! Guess what? They got married, and then for about 15 years it became a family restoration project. Their prize was cleaned, sanded, and rebuilt.

In 2006, in its 50th anniversary year it was the featured car in "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of the Corvette," by Peter Henshaw. Charlie enjoys this outstanding Corvette as a member of the Top of the Rockies Corvette Club.

Thanks, Charlie, for chauffeuring David Slayter, this year's parade marshall and recently appointed Vance Brand Airport manager!

Below is the 2015 Parade Marshall David Slayter's own story:

"I was born and reared in Southwest Louisiana. I graduated from Louisiana Tech University with a Bachelor of Science in professional aviation with a minor in aviation management. I have over 20 years of experience in the aviation industry, including having worked for Louisiana's State Aviation Division as an aviation program manager and legislative law liaison. I am happily married to my beautiful wife Karrie and am a proud father to my son John and daughter Alaina. I am honored to serve as your airport manager and this year's parade marshall," says David Slayter, C.M.

Thank you, David and Chuck, and have a good ride in the upcoming Boulder County Fair Parade at 10 a.m Saturday, Aug. 1.

Views: 160

Reply to This

Milestones

Milestones are back up! You can submit and view engagements, wedding, anniversaries and birth announcements at Prairie Mountain Media's Milestones form. Obituaries can also be found at DailyCamera.com at dailycamera.com/obituaries.

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Matt Flood.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service