OLovesM Creates Fun, Fashionable Bags & Keeps Waste from Landfills

Aspen, CO, May 29, 2008 – OLovesM produces handbags using landfill-bound yoga mat scraps for material. Each bag is as eco-friendly as you can get since each bag is a zero-waste creation. Two-year old OLovesM is introducing its latest line – a diaper bag/sport bag which can be used for years to come.

OLovesM bags are the brainchild of Merle O’Brien. The concept of OLovesM literally popped into her head as she was perfecting her downward dog pose in yoga class in 2006. As many Americans today, O’Brien has been thinking about the environmental impact of our consumption and wondered how yoga mats are recycled. What she found is that yoga mats are made from PVC – a material which shouldn’t be sent off to landfills.

“I looked at my mat and the idea popped into my head,” O’Brien says. “I know I was supposed to be focusing on my practice, but the idea of remnants and materials going into landfills bothered me. So I decided to do something about it.”

At that moment, O’Brien decided to use yoga mat scraps, remnants or over-runs to develop a line of eco-friendly and fashionable bags and she named the line OLovesM, a marriage of the letters O and M – the classic chant used in yoga classes: OM.

O’Brien didn’t stop at just yoga mat scraps to create her bags, though. Even the straps are re-purposed since they, too, were landfill-bound.

The OLovesM line began with a few bags such as the Eco-Clutch, Eco M and the Messenger bag. Those quickly took off and celebrities started carrying the bags since the Jute bag was chosen as the eco-swag bag at Sundance in 2007. The bag was given to celebrities such as Sienna Miller, Teri Hatcher, Zooey Deschanel and indie film princess, Parker Posey.

O’Brien is also a strong supporter of non-profits and frequently donates bags or water bottle holders to groups such as the United Negro College Fund, Aspen-based organizations, Race For The Cure and Chicagoland-area groups since O’Brien was raised in a north suburb in Chicago where she has family.

The bags retail from $15.00 to $120.00 and can be purchased at Changes In Latitude in Boulder.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Milestones

Milestones are back up! You can submit and view engagements, wedding, anniversaries and birth announcements at Prairie Mountain Media's Milestones form. Obituaries can also be found at DailyCamera.com at dailycamera.com/obituaries.

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Matt Flood.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service