Boulder, CO - Volunteers are the heart and soul of the YMCA and this year the YMCA of Boulder Valley is pleased to honor our volunteers for the time, energy and talent they bring to YMCA programs, boards, committees and fundraising.
“The YMCA was founded by volunteers and they continue to be the life blood of the organization as a whole,” according to Chris Coker, CEO of the YMCA of Boulder Valley.
The Volunteer Award Winners for 2008 include:
• Honored for his dedication to YMCA Sports Programs, Tom Casey is committed to making an impact on the lives of children and families in Boulder Valley. Tom’s commitment to youth has led him to help the YMCA recruit, schedule, and train officials for our sports programs and has helped fund and construct bleachers and storage for the Mapleton Center YMCA.
• Honored as “Refueler of the Year” Mike Stengel brings his knowledge, enthusiasm and friendly manner to “The Art of Billiards” class he developed and runs for the YMCA at Oddfellows Hall on Pearl Street in Boulder. Mike is a consistent, positive and encouraging influence and creates a welcoming atmosphere for the teens. Mike has also served on the YMCA Board of Directors since 2004.
• Recognized as “Outstanding Youth”, Hannah Hortick has been participating and volunteering with the YMCA of Boulder Valley’s BreakThrough Arts program since 2006. Whether she is attending an after school class, participating on the Teen Advisory Board, volunteering at the teen area of the Boulder Creek Festival, or assisting the teen staff with any number of responsibilities; Hannah is always enthusiastic, positive, and ready to help
• John and Lilo Fowler have been volunteering at the YMCA Mapleton Center in Boulder where John warmly greets members as they check in and Lilo runs the YMCA Book Club meetings with energy and dedication.
• Lynn Dyba is honored as Arapahoe Center Volunteer of the Year as she has been instrumental in the success of the Silver Sneakers program at Arapahoe. Lynn organizes monthly pot lucks for the Active Older Adults and presentations on special topics for the group. Lynn also serves as an ambassador to make sure the needs of our senior members are being met.
• Community Branch Committee Chair Dick Summerfield is being recognized for providing outstanding leadership to the Community Branch allowing for critical and in-depth analysis of programs and services to the community.
• Steve & Debra Dinnebeck – Mtech are being honored as Community Partners for the work they have done to improve our YMCA facilities, managing YMCA assets for the future and for installing a solar heating system to warm the water at the Mapleton Center Spray Park.
A special thanks to all our volunteers, coaches and board members who give so much to help the YMCA of Boulder Valley build strong kids, strong families and strong communities.
For more information on the YMCA of Boulder Valley or for information on volunteer opportunities at the Y, contact Chris Coker at 303-664-5455.