Ecotech Institute, the first and only college focused entirely on preparing America’s workforce for
careers in renewable energy and sustainable design
, today announced new school policies that will give active military, veterans and family members greater access to the school’s green collar job training and development programs.
Ecotech Institute, which is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, launched in April 2010 with seven highly practical degree programs and one certificate program that provide graduates with skills that are valued by today’s renewable energy employers. Nearly ten percent of Ecotech students are active military or veterans.
“We have staff, board members and students from military backgrounds and our curriculum is well-designed for people who bring military experience to the table,” says Michael Seifert, president of Ecotech Institute. “As current and ex-military members seek employment in this tough economy, cleantech careers offer excellent opportunities for job stability and pride.”
Ecotech Institute offers the following military student policies:
• Transfer of training and experience. Students may transfer up to 75 percent of the required credits for their program of study. This includes military training and/or experience, CLEP general examinations with a passing score of 50, CLEP subject examinations, DANTES subject standardized tests, College Board advanced placement exams, and professional certification exams.
• Student Deployment Policy. Military students called to active duty or deployed from their home station can withdraw from the currently enrolled term and receive a refund of tuition charges/payments related to the term.
• Waived application fees. All application and re-application fees are waived for active duty or honorably discharged veterans, spouses, or qualified dependents.
• Waived Tuition. Subject to availability, active duty or veteran students and their spouses or qualified dependents enrolling at Ecotech Institute may be eligible for one of the following tuition waivers.
o Patriot’s Service Waiver: Active duty service members who receive tuition assistance may receive an institutional tuition waiver up to the difference between the maximum tuition assistance rate published by the Military Service and the current published tuition for their enrolled program at Ecotech Institute for up to 8 credit hours per term for undergraduate programs or 4 credit hours per term for graduate programs. Active duty spouses may be eligible for a waiver of up to 15 percent of tuition and fees.
o Post 9/11 GI Bill Waiver Program: Veterans may receive an institutional tuition waiver for their enrolled program at Ecotech Institute in states where Ecotech Institute participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Post 9/11 veterans not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program may be eligible for up to a 15 percent tuition waiver during their course of study/program at Ecotech Institute.
o Armed Forces Recognition Waiver: All honorably discharged service members serving before September 11, 2001, including inactive or retired service members as well as military spouses, may be eligible for up to a 15 percent waiver of tuition per term.
• Transferring benefits to family. In the event an active service member or veteran transfers benefits to a spouse or dependent, the recipient will be eligible for the same waivers as the service member.
Ecotech Institute offers the following programs:
Electrical Engineering Technology, Associate of Applied Science
Energy and Environmental Paralegal, Associate of Applied Science
Energy Efficiency, Associate of Applied Science
Environmental Technology, Associate of Applied Science
Renewable Energy Technology, Associate of Applied Science
Solar Energy Technology, Associate of Applied Science
Sustainable Interior Design, Certificate Program
Wind Energy Technology, Associate of Applied Science
To learn more about Ecotech Institute, visit
. The next round of classes begins in January 2011 and applications are being accepted now. Financial assistance is available.