11th Annual "I Have a Dream" Foundation Dream-Maker Luncheon

11TH ANNUAL DREAM-MAKER LUNCHEON FEATURING DREAMER ALUM MELISSA MORRIS
With special guest and Dreamer Alumni, Denver Nuggets’ point guard, Anthony CarterDreamer Alum and Metro State University’s leading actress, Melissa Morris will be among the speakers at the 11th Annual Dream-Maker Luncheon, supporting the “I Have a Dream”® Foundation of Boulder County, on September 26 at the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder. Former Dreamer and Denver Nugget’s point guard, Anthony Carter will also be attending the luncheon for the second time. Carter is a national “I Have a Dream” Foundation spokesman as well as a large organization supporter.Melissa Morris is a native of Boulder and grew up in the Kalmia low-income housing community. In elementary school, Melissa and her two siblings were “adopted” into the “I Have a Dream” program by sponsor Midge Korczak. During her tenure in the program, Melissa was paired with a mentor, Eve Bat Shalom, who would subsequently change her life forever. Eve immediately took notice of her little “Dreamer’s” ability and love to dance, sing and act. Eve enrolled Melissa in the Peanut Butter Players, a local children’s theatre group where she thrived and excelled in her skill. “I Have a Dream’s” staff further nurtured her talents by taking her on college visits to the University of Colorado’s dance and theatre departments where she was able to see the performers in action.In 2004, Melissa graduated from Arapahoe High School and the “I Have a Dream” Foundation’s Kalmia class of Dreamers. She was accepted to Metro State University where she is currently majoring in dance and theatre. This year, Melissa landed the leading role of Dorothy in Metro State’s production of the classic play, The Wizard of Oz.“I Have a Dream’s” special guest, Anthony Carter, NBA player, grew up in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Atlanta. When Carter was in the fifth grade, his entire class was “adopted” as part of the national “I Have a Dream” Program. Carter received his GED and attended Saddleback Community College in California where he was able to play basketball. After receiving his Associates Degree at Saddleback he was admitted to the University of Hawaii on a basketball scholarship. Carter started his NBA career playing for the Miami Heat, during the 1998-1999 seasons. Carter, now 32, has since played for the San Antonio Spurs, Minnesota Timberwolves and currently plays for the Denver Nuggets.The luncheon has sold out and boasts numerous community sponsors. The funds raised at the luncheon will help support over 300 Dreamers from Boulder County and support the adoption of a new Dreamer class in 2009.Local Dreamers from Boulder County will also share their stories of how “I Have a Dream” has positively shaped their lives, family and community because of the multiplier effect of the program.

Views: 61

Reply to This

Milestones

Milestones are back up! You can submit and view engagements, wedding, anniversaries and birth announcements at Prairie Mountain Media's Milestones form. Obituaries can also be found at DailyCamera.com at dailycamera.com/obituaries.

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Matt Flood.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service